Red Velvet Lava Mug Cake Recipe
4 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tbsp unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp buttermilk
1 tbsp fat free milk
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/8 tsp distilled vinegar
about 1/4 tsp red food coloring
2 dark chocolate truffle balls
1. Combine all cake ingredients except truffles into an oversized, wide, microwave-safe mug. I recommend using a wide and short mug over a tall mug for this recipe, otherwise you’ll have to dig through a lot more cake to get to the lava center. Mix all ingredients with a small whisk until batter is completely smooth.
2. Press the chocolate truffle balls into the center of the cake batter. Scoop some of the batter on top so that chocolate balls are completely submerged under. Cook cake in microwave for about 55 seconds. Let cake cool a few moments before eating.
* Please make sure you are as precise as possible. You’ll note that you only use 1/8 tsp of baking soda and vinegar. This is a very small amount and estimating it and going over to 1/4 tsp will affect the recipe, causing it to rise too much and dry out.
* Do not leave out buttermilk or vinegar. Buttermilk is key to the red velvet flavor and the acid reacts with the baking soda to make the cake rise. You will not taste the vinegar, but the vinegar also reacts with the baking soda and it also brings out the red hue in the cocoa powder.
* Depending on the type or brand of food coloring you are using, you might need slightly more food coloring to get the shade of red you desire. You should be able to tell if you need more right when it’s done mixing and it’s okay to add a few more drops if needed.